What is Dharma-259 Ransomware
Dharma-259 is a ransomware-type infection belonging to the Dharma family. This group of developers has brought the biggest impact to the malware industry. Having a range of malicious programs, 259 compliments the list and encrypts personal data with strong algorithms that prevent users from regular access. As a result, all data change its name with a string of digits including personal ID, cybercriminal’s e-mail, and .259 extension at the end of each file. For instance, ordinary
1.mp4 will experience a change to something like this
1.mp4.id-C279F237.[email@example.com].259 and reset its default icon. Then, once the encryption process gets to a close, the virus force-opens a pop-up window and creates a text note called FILES ENCRYPTED.txt, both of which contain information upon data recovery.
As stated in both pop-up and note, victims have to contact swindlers via e-mail attaching personal ID. In addition to that, you are allowed to send up to 1 file (less than 1 MB) for free decryption. Then, once extortionists receive your message, you will be guided with steps on how to purchase decryption software. Sometimes, the required fee may skyrocket beyond the limits, becoming unaffordable for most of the users. Even if you are ready to enrich cybercriminals buying their software, we recommend you against it, because most users report a high-risk of being fooled and not obtain any tools to restore the data at all. In such a case, it is safer to get rid of Dharma-259 and recover your files using a backup copy. If there is nothing created prior to the infection, try using third-party instruments presented below to implement free decryption.
How Dharma-259 infected your computer
- Download Dharma-259 Ransomware Removal Tool
- Get decryption tool for .259 files
- Recover encrypted files with Stellar Data Recovery Professional
- Restore encrypted files with Windows Previous Versions
- Restore files with Shadow Explorer
- How to protect from threats like Dharma-259 Ransomware
Download Removal Tool
To remove Dharma-259 Ransomware completely, we recommend you to use WiperSoft AntiSpyware from WiperSoft. It detects and removes all files, folders, and registry keys of Dharma-259 Ransomware and prevents future infections by similar viruses.
Alternative Removal Tool
To remove Dharma-259 Ransomware completely, we recommend you to use SpyHunter 5 from EnigmaSoft Limited. It detects and removes all files, folders, and registry keys of Dharma-259 Ransomware. The trial version of SpyHunter 5 offers virus scan and 1-time removal for FREE.
Dharma-259 Ransomware files:
Dharma-259 Ransomware registry keys:
How to decrypt and restore .259 files
Use automated decryptors
Download Kaspersky RakhniDecryptor
Use the following tool from Kaspersky called Rakhni Decryptor, which can decrypt .259 files. Download it here:
There is no purpose to pay the ransom because there is no guarantee you will receive the key, but you will put your bank credentials at risk.
Dr.Web Rescue Pack
Famous antivirus vendor Dr. Web provides free decryption service for the owners of its products: Dr.Web Security Space or Dr.Web Enterprise Security Suite. Other users can ask for help in the decryption of .259 files by uploading samples to Dr. Web Ransomware Decryption Service. Analyzing of files will be performed free of charge and if files are decryptable, all you need to do is purchase a 2-year license of Dr.Web Security Space worth $120 or less. Otherwise, you don’t have to pay.
If you are infected with Dharma-259 Ransomware and removed from your computer you can try to decrypt your files. Antivirus vendors and individuals create free decryptors for some crypto-lockers. To attempt to decrypt them manually you can do the following:
Use Stellar Data Recovery Professional to restore .259 files
- Download Stellar Data Recovery Professional.
- Click the Recover Data button.
- Select the type of files you want to restore and click the Next button.
- Choose the location where you would like to restore files from and click the Scan button.
- Preview found files, choose ones you will restore, and click Recover.
Using Windows Previous Versions option:
- Right-click on the infected file and choose Properties.
- Select the Previous Versions tab.
- Choose a particular version of the file and click Copy.
- To restore the selected file and replace the existing one, click on the Restore button.
- In case there are no items in the list choose an alternative method.
Using Shadow Explorer:
- Download Shadow Explorer program.
- Run it and you will see a screen listing of all the drives and the dates that shadow copy was created.
- Select the drive and date that you want to restore from.
- Right-click on a folder name and select Export.
- In case there are no other dates in the list, choose an alternative method.
If you are using Dropbox:
- Login to the DropBox website and go to the folder that contains encrypted files.
- Right-click on the encrypted file and select Previous Versions.
- Select the version of the file you wish to restore and click on the Restore button.
How to protect the computer from viruses, like Dharma-259 Ransomware, in future
1. Get special anti-ransomware software
Use BitDefender Anti-Ransomware
Famous antivirus vendor BitDefender released a free tool, that will help you with active anti-ransomware protection, as an additional shield to your current protection. It will not conflict with bigger security applications. If you are searching complete internet security solution consider upgrading to the full version of BitDefender Internet Security 2018.
2. Back up your files
As an additional way to save your files, we recommend online backup. Local storages, such as hard drives, SSDs, flash drives, or remote network storages can be instantly infected by the virus once plugged in or connected to. Dharma-259 Ransomware uses some techniques to exploit this. One of the best services and programs for easy automatic online backup is iDrive. It has the most profitable terms and a simple interface. You can read more about iDrive cloud backup and storage here.
3. Do not open spam e-mails and protect your mailbox
Malicious attachments to spam or phishing e-mails are the most popular method of ransomware distribution. Using spam filters and creating anti-spam rules is good practice. One of the world leaders in anti-spam protection is MailWasher Pro. It works with various desktop applications and provides a very high level of anti-spam protection.