Do you want to create a Wikipedia page? Do you want to create an online presence of your services or products? Are you a celebrity or an influencer figure, willing to make the world know more about you? If an answer to these questions is a big yes, then in this guide, we will show you how to create a Wikipedia page that does not go rejected.
Without any further ado, we will be taking you straight to the steps for creating a Wikipedia page.
How to Create a Wikipedia Page
Wikipedia pages are built through accessing a page title that actually does not exist, clicking on the red link that highlights non-existence. On another hand, there is a blue colored link that has some exceptions, linking to existing pages.
The page creation follows a simple approach: when clicked on a red link, you will reach a blank page. Once reached, you can enter text, and click on button denoting Publish Change. If followed properly, a page will be created.
Various pages are built when a user is able to see an existing red link, following the below-mentioned methods.
The methods mentioned below will show you how to access a page that is non-existent with no red link being shown. In addition, if you want to get your page built by experts, then a reliable Wikipedia writing service can get the job done for you faster.
Follow the below-mentioned methods to create a Wikipedia Page:
The Searching Method
Start by entering text in the search field that you can seek to build a page title. In case, you find that your title doesn’t exist, is not restricted technically, or not protected against creation, then you will be presented with the following options:
- You will be notified that a page doesn’t exist
- You will be advised to create a page
- You will be provided with a red link to the specific page title
- You will see a message that “There were no results matching the query”
Preview a Red Link Method
Follow these steps to preview a red link:
- Click on one of the accessible pages
- Place double brackets around the page title that you want to create such as [[Suggested Title]];
- You will see a button labeled with “Show Preview”. Click on it
- Finally, click on the visible red link
Save a Red Link Method
If you wish to have easy and regular access to your page, you can do so by saving a link at a user page, or user talk page. After saving a red link, and creating a page, that link will turn into a blue link, allowing you to access through clicking it. Below are the steps that you need to follow:
- Go to the user or user talk page that are permanently linked at the top of a Wikipedia page
- Place the double brackets around the page title for example [[Proposed Title]]
- Click on the button labeled with “Publish Changes”
- Click on the visible red link
Changing a URL Method
When you click on the existing page or section, then you need to change the page title visible in the URL of the browser’s address bar. Afterward, you can hit enter, and see a page similar to if you had clicked on the red link. It will allow you to create a page with the entered title. For instance, if you click in the edit at the top of a page, you will see a URL in the address bar of the browser.
Top Tips for Building a Wikipedia Page Successfully
To build a Wikipedia page successfully, you need to follow some crucial tips. In case, you reach a Wikipedia writing service, then you do not need to worry about anything. Otherwise, you will have to follow the tips mentioned below to create a Wikipedia page without facing any hurdles:
- You can see the pages Wikipedia: Your First Article and Article Titling Policy that allows you to learn about the Dos and DON’Ts for creating an article
- You can refer to Wikipedia: Contributing to Wikipedia to know about contributing to their website
- You can visit the page Wikipedia: Articles for Creation and discover how an article should be created as a draft, and then sent for review prior to the final publication
- There are main notability guidelines that can tell you what Wikipedia accepts or not
- The manual of style can tell about how to stay away from styling issues
Considerations for Namespace
Exception for Category Namespace
The links to pages in the Category namespace will not work unless you place a colon before the namespace prefix. For instance, if you want to build a category for “American Players”, the red link will be invoked by saving or previewing the code: [[: Category: American Players]]
Exception for File Namespace
The file namespace is an exception where media files are not built directly through following any of the above-mentioned methods. Instead, media files are uploaded through a different and dedicated interface that can be accessed by clicking on the “Upload File” option from the tool menu located on the left side of the page.
Make sure that files that lie in the public domain or hold a free copyrights’ license should be uploaded to Wikimedia Commons instead of the Wikipedia. In this way, all the Wikipedia projects will have access to those media files.
Articles vs. Random Namespaces
In fact, encyclopedia articles are the only ones that can be created without a namespace prefix. All the pages that are outside of the article mainspace can be prefixed with a namespace following a colon prior to the title.
For instance, the user page’s title will start with a prefix “User”. The red link that you will create for a page that is not an encyclopedia article should start with the prefix of a namespace.
For instance, if you want to build a proposed article in the namespace of Draft, you will have to create a red link to [[Draft: Proposed Title]].
Namespaces that are Restricted
Some namespaces are restricted for creation except by Wikipedia’s administrators and some more users with superior levels of accessibility including the MediaWiki pages, Module Pages, Special Pages, and pages belonging to Education Programs. Interestingly, a user can build talk pages using specified namespaces, apart from those mentioned in the Special namespace that doesn’t include direct talk pages.
So far, we have revealed the methods for creating a Wikipedia page. Though Wikipedia has strict guidelines for page creation, the steps and tips mentioned in this guide will help you create a page on Wikipedia hassle-freely.